Let Wise Property Handle the Details to Protect Your Tenants, Your Property and Your Bottom Line
According to the New Zealand Fire Department, there are more than 3,500 house fires, every year. They go on to say, “ In 80% of the fatal fires we attend smoke alarms are either not installed or not working”. That is a big number for such a small country. This is why one of the proposed amendments for The Residential Tenancies Act 2016 is to supply every rental with working smoke alarms as of July 1, 2016.
Wise Property has compiled a list of the legal obligations that property managers, tenants, and landlords will be required to meet.
- Every household needs to have at least one working smoke alarm.
- Smoke alarms should be placed near bedrooms.
- Tenants will be held responsible to replace the batteries of their smoke alarms.
- If the property does not have any smoke alarms installed the landlord is responsible for installing photoelectric alarms with batteries guaranteed to last at least ten years.
- Hard-wired smoke alarms are also admissible as long as the owners have access to the property to make sure the smoke alarms have adequate coverage.
The NZ Fire Department has provided us with some life-saving tips.
- Smoke alarms should be interconnected and hard-wired to your electrical wiring. This will ensure that all of the smoke alarms go off, not just one – when there is a fire.
- Do not put your smoke alarm in the kitchen, as the heat from cooking will cause a false, and annoying alarm.
- Do not put your smoke detector in the bathroom or laundry.
- The best place to put fire alarms is on the ceiling in every room of the house.
- If the above is not possible, they suggest at least putting one in the hallway near the bedrooms.
The financial repercussions of non-compliance will result in a landlord being charged a $4000 fine. There are lots of little details that can turn out to be big issues for any investment property owner if they are not considered. Wise Property has an experienced team who are able to assist you with all of those things, so that you are not hit with fines. Our friendly Property Managers come from diverse backgrounds which brings a good mixture of knowledge and experience to the table. We pride ourselves on keeping up to date with new legislations so that our clients can rest assured that their properties are covered.